We’ve Got The Power Community Organizing Training, 2012
Objective (from community organizing perspective)
Raise Money and/or Raise Awareness (about issue and/or organization)
Planning (small group brainstorms)
What are some important things to think about before the house party/during the house party and after?
- Who will host? Location?
- Create invitation and invite list/mailing list; rsvp process
- Food? Alcohol?
- Transportation and childcare needed?
- Agenda? Speakers?
- what size? Safety issues? Age group?
- Timing of everything
- how long will the party be?
- Who’s doing what? Who’s point person for different parts? (peacekeeper/vibeswatcher/etc)
- set-up; information to hand out
- refershments stocked
- ice breakers
- sign up sheet/e-mail addresses
- passing collection “hat” – who’s doing “the ask”?
- share victories/history/meanigful anecdotes
- evidence/illustartions of how money spent
- follow-up – Thank you notes to people who came
- have host send note and donation form to people who were invited but didnt come
- self-evaluation by planning group
- enter list of house-party guests to database
- send a gift basket and thank you to the host
helpful on-line resource: http://www.stepbystepfundraising.com/fundraising-houseparty/